~ More accurate road information enables faster journeys and precise jam forecasting ~
VIENNA — (BUSINESS WIRE) — October 24, 2012 — TomTom today releases the latest version of its real-time traffic information service, TomTom HD Traffic, at the ITS World Congress in Vienna. TomTom HD Traffic 6.0 offers more precise information about roadworks, road closures and jam locations, helping drivers reach their destinations faster. The service includes two new congestion forecasting features, which indicate whether a jam is growing or dispersing and estimate how long congestion will last.
HD Traffic 6.0 reports the locations of traffic jams on highways up to 15 times more precisely then industry-standard Traffic Message Channels (TMCs). And HD Traffic 6.0 identifies 65% more closed roads than HD Traffic 5.0. The service also uses information from GPS data sources to correct roadwork reports received from official sources. This means drivers are less likely to be routed via shut roads, avoiding unnecessary detours and frustration.
The latest version has two new functions which provide the user with traffic forecasts. HD Traffic 6.0 analyses congestion trends to indicate whether a particular traffic jam is growing, stable or dispersing. It also estimates how long the congestion will last. In the automotive and consumer connected navigation space both features are highly useful for more accurate routing and ETA calculation. Government organisations can benefit by using the new features for improved active traffic management.
“We’re delighted to bring the enhanced version of HD Traffic to government and business,” says Ralf-Peter Schäfer. “With improved road information, drivers can get to their destinations even faster. And with the new traffic forecasting features, government organisations can more effectively decide how to deal with congestion. This might be by using signs to reroute traffic, controlling traffic lights or, indeed, if the jam is dispersing, not taking any action at all.”
TomTom HD Traffic has recently been re-accredited by the TÜV SÜD Group, for providing highly accurate and precise jam information on highways, A-roads and all main roads. Tests in Germany confirmed that traffic jams reported by HD Traffic 5.0 are accurate in 91% of instances.
--- ENDS ---
Coverage and delivery
HD Traffic 6.0 is available as a bulk feed for server-to-server communication using Datex2 as the data exchange standard. A hosted service directly to in-dash and mobile consumer devices is available through a TPEG-TEC application or a TMC based application. In all products TMC and OpenLR are available as location referencing methods.
TomTom HD Traffic 6.0 will be made available in all 23 countries HD where Traffic is currently available before the end of 2012. HD Traffic 6.0 is already available in the following countries:
- United States
Notes for editors
New to HD Traffic 6.0:
More precise roadwork information
- TomTom actively verifies roadwork reports from government and journalistic sources using real-time data from the TomTom driving community.
- Tests in Germany show that this leads to corrections and cancellations of up to 90% of roadwork reports.
- Drivers get an accurate estimation of speed lost through delays and more precise arrival times, and only get reports of works that could affect their journeys.
Improved road closure reports
- Data from the TomTom community alerts drivers of more road closures than government and journalistic sources alone.
- In Germany, tests show that this leads to an average of 65% more reports on road closures.
More accurate traffic information
- The locations of incidents on highways are reported five times more accurately that with the previous version of HD Traffic.
- In Germany this results in 15 times better location accuracy than with standard TMC technology.