Broad-based Products Fuel Record Revenue
AUSTIN, Texas — (BUSINESS WIRE) — July 25, 2014 — Silicon Labs (NASDAQ: SLAB), a leader in high-performance, analog-intensive, mixed-signal integrated circuits (ICs), today reported financial results for its second quarter ended June 28, 2014. Revenue in the second quarter exceeded the top end of guidance and established a new record at $154.9 million, which included $5.0 million of patent sale revenue, up from $145.7 million as reported in the first quarter.
On a GAAP basis:
- Gross margin was 63.7 percent
- R&D expenses were $41.8 million
- SG&A expenses were $36.0 million
- Operating income as a percentage of revenue was 13.4 percent
- Diluted earnings per share were $0.32
On a non-GAAP basis (results exclude the impact of stock compensation, amortization from acquired intangible assets and certain other items as set forth in the reconciliation tables below):
- Gross margin was 64.1 percent
- R&D expenses were $34.4 million
- SG&A expenses were $31.3 million
- Operating income was 21.6 percent
- Diluted earnings per share were $0.58
- Broad-based revenue established a new record at $79.7 million, up 10 percent sequentially.
- Broadcast revenue was $50.5 million for the quarter, which included $5.0 million from a patent sale. The patent sale revenue resulted from the acceleration of a royalty arrangement and was not forecasted.
- Access revenue also exceeded expectations at $24.7 million.
- Introduced a new family of ultra-low-power capacitive sensing MCUs, the C8051F97x MCU family, offering fast and accurate capacitive touch control technology backed by Silicon Labs’ Simplicity Studio® development ecosystem.
- Launched a new 32-bit hardware and firmware development kit that simplifies the process of developing “Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad” (MFi) accessories and accelerates time to market for MFi accessory developers.
- Announced a comprehensive Wireless M-Bus software solution that simplifies the process of adding wireless connectivity to smart metering systems while enabling extended battery life.
- Joined other industry leaders to form the Thread Group, leading the development of the next generation of IP-based wireless mesh networking for the Connected Home.
- Won an EDN China Innovation Award in the category of “Innovation Excellence: Leading Technologies” for the EFM32™ Gecko family.
The company expects revenue in the third quarter to be in the range of $153 million to $157 million and expects to establish another record in its Broad-based products. Third quarter diluted earnings per share are expected to be between $0.18 and $0.24 on a GAAP basis and between $0.45 and $0.51 on a non-GAAP basis.
“We are very pleased with our strong second quarter results, including record revenue in our Broad-based products,” said Tyson Tuttle, CEO of Silicon Labs. “We are benefitting from our multi-year investment strategy for the IoT and Internet Infrastructure and realizing meaningful revenue growth.”
Webcast and Conference Call
A conference call discussing the quarterly results will follow this
press release at 7:30 a.m. Central time. An audio webcast will be
available simultaneously on Silicon Labs' website under Investor
A replay will be available after the call at the same website listed
above or by calling 1 (855) 859-2056 or (404) 537-3406 (international)
and by entering 39717389. The replay will be available through August 25.