TI's single-IC solution minimizes board space, accelerates design cycles and reduces audible noise by up to 75 percentDALLAS, Oct. 14, 2014 — (PRNewswire) — Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the industry's first 24-V, sinusoidal, sensorless, brushless DC (BLDC) motor driver. The DRV10983 gives customers the ability to quickly tune their motors for reliable start-up and optimal performance using a configurable, 3-A driver with integrated control logic. Utilizing 180-degree, sinusoidal, sensorless technology, the DRV10983 is up to 75 percent quieter than competing solutions for applications like cooling fans, ceiling fans, blowers and small appliances. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/drv10983-pr.
Key features and benefits of the DRV10983:
- Ultra-quiet operation: 180-degree pure sinusoidal, sensorless operation, coupled with advanced start-up algorithms, enables up to 75 percent quieter operation than the competition, with no annoying clicks or pops at start-up. Pure tone harmonics, a significant noise adder in fan applications, are reduced by as much as 25 dBA.
- Code-free configurability: Tune a wide range of motors for optimal performance and reliable start-up through simple register settings without the need for complex microcontroller coding or motor knowledge.
- Full suite of protection: Advanced on-chip protection, including anti-voltage surge (AVS) over-voltage, over-current, over-temperature, shoot-through, under-voltage lock-out and advanced five-stage rotor lock protection, reduces design complexity and increases system reliability.
- Fully integrated solution: Single-chip solution with integrated power FETs, sensorless control logic and optional 100-mA, 3.3- or 5-V step-down converter reduce board space, system cost and development time
Tools and Support
The DRV10983EVM evaluation module (EVM) is a cost effective, sensorless solution for running three-phase BLDC motors. The EVM includes a BLDC motor and comes complete with a graphical user interface (GUI), schematics and Gerber files for US$99.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The DRV10983 is available in a 24-pin, 8-mm x 6-mm HTSSOP package. Suggested retail pricing in 1,000-unit quantities starts at US$1.19.
Learn more about TI's motor driver portfolio:
- Order DRV10983 samples
- Read about how to easily design sinusoidal, sensorless control for 3- phase BLDC motors
- Watch an Engineer It video on understanding supply pumping in motor applications
- Watch a video on how to quickly start using the DRV10983 evaluation module
- Watch a video about the features and benefits of the DRV10983
- Support is available on the Motor Driver Forum in the TI E2E™ Community, where engineers can search for solutions, get help, share knowledge and solve problems with fellow engineers and TI experts.
- Follow what TI motor drive and control experts have to say on our blog: Motor Drives and Control.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments
Lindsey Starnes, Texas Instruments, 214-479-3325
Email Contact Vicky Smithee, Golin, 972-341-2537
Email Contact (Please do not publish these numbers or e-mail addresses.)