Highly integrated ISL850xx support auxiliary rails for industrial and
infrastructure point-of-load applications up to 14A
Milpitas, Calif., April 3, 2017 – Intersil, a subsidiary of Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723), today introduced five synchronous buck regulators that step-down 12V rails to point-of load inputs as low as 0.6V for MCUs, FPGAs, memory and peripheral I/Os. The newest members of the ISL850xx family consist of the ISL85014, ISL85012, ISL85009, ISL85005A and ISL85005 buck regulators. They deliver 14A, 12A, 9A and 5A of continuous output current, respectively, to industrial computers and programmable logic controllers as well as telecom, test and measurement, server and storage networking equipment.
The ISL850xx sync buck regulators support input voltage of 3.8V to 18V and wide output current range, offering designers a complete portfolio of devices with high efficiency and reliable performance. The pin compatible regulators integrate very low RDSon high side and low side MOSFETs that reduce external component count and power loss to extend product life. Both FETs also provide current limit and reverse current limit to boost reliability and protect the system during an overcurrent event. The high efficiency ISL850xx devices enable lower die temperatures, allowing systems to operate without cooling fans or heatsinks. Their internal compensation eliminates additional external components, which reduce design complexity and bill of materials (BOM) cost. Watch a video on Intersil’s 12V synchronous buck regulators.
The ISL85014 is offered in one of the industry’s smallest 14A packages at 3.5mm x 3.5mm, offering a compact footprint to free up valuable board space. The ISL85009 is one of the industry’s most power efficient 9A sync buck regulators, offering high side FET RDSon at 17mâ„¦ and low side FET RDSon of 8.5mâ„¦ to dramatically reduce die temperatures for applications without cooling systems. The pin-compatible ISL85014, ISL85012 and ISL85009 address high load current applications, while the 5A ISL85005A and ISL85005 buck switching regulators are pin-compatible with the previously released 3A ISL85003A and ISL85003 devices.
"Design complexity is growing, prompting power supply designers to look for highly integrated, feature-rich buck regulators that not only offer small size, but deliver high efficiency, fast transient response and ease of use," said Mark Downing, senior vice president of Infrastructure and Industrial Power products at Intersil. "Our family of pin-compatible 3A to 14A synchronous buck regulators gives customers all the features they need in a small, layout friendly footprint."
Key Features and Specifications of ISL85014, ISL85012 and ISL85009
· 3.8V to 18V input voltage range, and up to 9A, 12A and 14A output loads
· Output voltage is adjustable to as low as 0.6V
· Pre-bias start-up with internal 3ms soft-start
· Selectable switching frequency of 300kHz or 600kHz, and external sync up to 1MHz
· Peak current mode control with thermally compensated current limit and internal or external compensation options
· Full protection includes input/output overvoltage, integrated bootstrap diode with undervoltage detection, and selectable overcurrent protection (OCP) schemes including hiccup and latch-off
Key Features and Specifications of ISL85005A and ISL85005
· 4.5V to 18V input voltage range, and up to 5A output load
· Output voltage is adjustable to as low as 0.8V
· Integrated bootstrap diode with undervoltage detection
· Current mode control with internal or external compensation options
· Default switching frequency internally set 500kHz
· ISL85005 has internal 2.3ms soft-start; ISL85005A has programmable soft-start to limit inrush current during startup
· Full protection includes output Power-Good (PG) indicator, HS cycle-by-cycle current limit, LS forward and reverse OCP, thermal shutdown, input undervoltage lockout (UVLO), and input and output overvoltage protection