Mouser Partners with Intel, Analog Devices to Encourage Technological Advancements
October 16, 2018 – Mouser Electronics, Inc., the New Product Introduction leader that empowers innovation and a principal sponsor of the Create the Future Design Contest, will join in recognizing the 2018 winners at a special awards reception and dinner in New York City on November 9. Mouser’s valued suppliers Intel® and Analog Devices, Inc. joined Mouser in sponsoring the 15th annual contest, produced by Tech Briefs Media Group, an SAE International Company.
“Mouser congratulates the 2018 Create the Future Contest winners, and we thank all of the participants for entering their creative ideas. Part of our mission is empowering innovation, so we are excited to support this global design contest that spotlights technical ingenuity,” said Kevin Hess, Mouser Senior Vice President of Marketing. “The world is seeing amazing advancements in electronic design thanks to forward-thinking engineers and innovators.”
Together with COMSOL and Tech Briefs Media Group, Mouser will award the $20,000 grand prize to a team of scientists from the U.S. Department of Energy’s Brookhaven National Laboratory for their invention, “Invisible Glass.” Using nanotechnology to eliminate optical reflections from glass, silicon, and plastics, Invisible Glass is designed to enhance efficiency of solar energy conversion, eliminate glare from smartphone and computer displays, and provide anti-fogging, water-repellant properties for car and aircraft windshields.
Finalists were selected by senior editors at Tech Briefs Media Group, producer of the contest, and judged by an independent panel of design engineers. In addition to the grand prize, judges awarded the following category winners, who received HP workstation computers:
- Aerospace & Defense — Detecting Plastic Landmines. Drones with infrared thermal imaging sensors can fly over affected areas and identify plastic landmines by their heat signatures.
- Automotive/Transportation — Intelligent Stator Cage Drive (ISCAD) is an electrical traction drive system that replaces copper windings with aluminum bars to increase distance range by 25 percent.
- Consumer Products — Aluminum Powered Electricity Generation. The system converts recycled aluminum into a highly energy-dense, shelf-stable, safe fuel that produces kilowatt-scale electricity.
- Electronics/Sensors/IoT — Magnetoelectric antennas are ultra-small antennas that offer unique properties and exciting applications in bio-medical devices.
- Medical — The Implantable Myoelectric Sensor (IMES) system integrates into prosthetic systems to enable advanced intuitive control.
- Robotics/Automation/Manufacturing — MELD is an innovative 3D printing process for producing large metal parts without melting the metal.
- Sustainable Technologies — A recycling technique turns waste into aerogels — the lightest material on Earth — for applications ranging from oil-spill cleanup to heat and sound insulation.
The Create the Future Design Contest brings attention to product designs that enhance quality of life, improve the efficiency and quality of healthcare or help to reduce dependence on nonrenewable energy sources. The contest was created in 2002 by the publishers of Tech Briefs magazine to help stimulate and reward engineering innovation. For more information, go to www.mouser.com/createthefuture.
With its broad product line and unsurpassed customer service, Mouser strives to empower innovation among design engineers and buyers by delivering advanced technologies. Mouser stocks the world’s widest selection of the latest semiconductors and electronic components for the newest design projects. Mouser Electronics’ website is continually updated and offers advanced search methods to help customers quickly locate inventory. Mouser.com also houses data sheets, supplier-specific reference designs, application notes, technical design information, and engineering tools.
About Mouser Electronics
Mouser Electronics, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is an award-winning, authorized semiconductor and electronic component distributor focused on rapid New Product Introductions from its manufacturing partners for electronic design engineers and buyers. The global distributor’s website, Mouser.com, is available in multiple languages and currencies and features more than 5 million products from over 700 manufacturers. Mouser offers 23 support locations around the world to provide best-in-class customer service and ships globally to over 600,000 customers in more than 220 countries/territories from its 750,000 sq. ft. state-of-the-art facility south of Dallas, Texas. For more information, visit www.mouser.com.
Mouser and Mouser Electronics are registered trademarks of Mouser Electronics, Inc. All other products, logos, and company names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Kevin Hess, Mouser Electronics
Senior Vice President of Marketing
For press inquiries
Kelly DeGarmo, Mouser Electronics
Manager, Corporate Communications and Media Relations