Kandou SerDes Leadership Empowers the Next Generation of USB-Enabled Devices
Lausanne, Switzerland, September 10, 2019 -- Kandou, a global leader in ultra-low power wired connectivity, has announced development is underway for the industry’s first USB-C® multi-protocol retimer solution with USB4™ support.
The announcement follows the publication of the USB4 specification by the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF). Key characteristics of the specification include:
- Two-lane operation using existing USB Type-C® cables and up to 40 Gb/s operation over 40 Gb/s certified cables,
- Multiple data and display protocols that efficiently share the maximum aggregate bandwidth, and
- Backward compatibility with USB 3.2 and Thunderbolt™ 3.
The USB4 specification is available for download at www.usb.org.
USB4 enables faster connections (for video processing / data transfer) and backward compatibility with existing USB protocols, which will drive a new generation of USB-enabled devices including:
- Mobile, Tablet and Desktop PCs
- Active Cables
- Monitors, Docking Stations and adaptors
- External Hard Disk and Solid-State Drives
- Gaming Consoles
“Our experience building the world’s leading low power SerDes designs gives us a unique perspective on solving the challenges of next generation USB,” said Dr. Amin Shokrollahi, Founder and CEO of Kandou. With engineering samples back in our validation labs, initial results are excellent and we look forward to delivering a re-timer solution that demonstrates; low active power and support for multiple protocols including USB4”
Kandou will be attending the USB Developer Days event scheduled for September 17 and 18 at the Grand Hyatt Seattle in Seattle, WA.
Engineering samples will be available in November 2019. Production shipments will begin in second half of 2020.
VP Business Development