July 21, 2008 (PARK RIDGE, IL) - URISA is pleased to announce the results of its 2008 Board of Directors Election. Kathrine Cargo, GISP (New Orleans Parish Communications District) will become President-Elect of the association and Clare Brown, GISP, Michael Lovett, GISP and Karen Stewart, GISP will begin their three-year terms as members of the Board of Directors, at the close of URISA's 46th Annual Conference in New Orleans this October.
“URISA means professional growth, as I feel that my participation in conferences, committees and chapter functions better prepared me to recognize challenges as opportunities for improvement. URISA has been and continues to be a great source of inspiration to me in my work as a GIS/Mapping Coordinator, mainly due to the GIS educational offerings and the industry information that streams from the association on a regular basis,” said Cargo.
Three new directors were elected by the URISA membership to serve a three-year term on the URISA Board, also beginning in October. The three new Board members are:
- Clare Brown, GISP, Montgomery Watson Harza, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Michael Lovett, GISP, CDM, Maitland, Florida
- Karen Stewart, GISP, ESRI Canada, Vancouver, British Columbia
At the close of URISA 2008 in New Orleans, the terms of service for these Board members will conclude:
- Ed Wells, GISP (Immediate Past President), GIS Manager, Washington Metro Area Transit Authority, Washington, DC
- Ingrid Bruce, GIS/Special Districts Manager, City of Rancho Cucamonga, California
- Zhong-Ren Peng, PhD, Professor, University of Florida Department of Urban and Regional Planning, Gainesville, Florida
- Cy Smith, GISP, Statewide GIS Coordinator, State of Oregon, Salem, Oregon
We thank them, in advance, for their dedication and service to URISA and anticipate many more years of continued involvement.