|HP INC. AND SUBSIDIARIES
CALCULATION OF DILUTED NET EARNINGS PER SHARE
(In millions, except per share amounts)
|Nine months ended July 31|
|GAAP net earnings from continuing operations||$||1,866||$||2,153|
|Non-GAAP net earnings||$||2,066||$||2,173|
|Weighted-average shares used to compute basic net earnings per share||1,694||1,735|
|Dilutive effect of employee stock plans(a)||11||12|
|Weighted-average shares used to compute diluted net earnings per share||1,705||1,747|
|GAAP diluted net earnings per share from continuing operations||$||1.09||$||1.23|
|Non-GAAP diluted net earnings per share||$||1.21||$||1.24|
(a) Includes any dilutive effect of restricted stock units, stock options and performance-based awards.
Use of non-GAAP financial measures
To supplement HP’s consolidated condensed financial statements presented on a GAAP basis, HP provides net revenue on a constant currency basis, non-GAAP operating margin, non-GAAP tax rate, non-GAAP net earnings, non-GAAP diluted net EPS and gross cash. HP also provides forecasts of non-GAAP diluted net EPS.
These non-GAAP financial measures are not computed in accordance with, or as an alternative to, GAAP in the United States. Reconciliations of each of these non-GAAP financial measures to GAAP information are included in the tables above or elsewhere in the materials accompanying this news release.
Use and economic substance of non-GAAP financial measures
Net revenue on a constant currency basis assumes no change in the foreign currency exchange rate from the prior-year period. Non-GAAP operating margin is defined to exclude the effects of any amounts relating to restructuring and other charges, acquisition-related charges, defined benefit plan settlement charges, amortization of intangible assets and non-operating retirement-related credits/(charges). Non-GAAP net earnings and non-GAAP diluted net EPS consist of net earnings from continuing operations or diluted net EPS from continuing operations excluding those same charges and net tax indemnifications. In addition, non-GAAP net earnings and non-GAAP diluted net EPS are adjusted by the amount of additional taxes or tax benefits associated with each non-GAAP item and other tax benefits or charges as a consequence of the separation of Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company from HP Inc. (the “Separation”). HP’s management uses these non-GAAP financial measures for purposes of evaluating HP’s historical and prospective financial performance, as well as HP’s performance relative to its competitors. HP’s management also uses these non-GAAP measures to further its own understanding of HP’s segment operating performance. HP believes that excluding the items mentioned above for these non-GAAP financial measures allows HP’s management to better understand HP’s consolidated financial performance in relation to the operating results of HP’s segments, as HP’s management does not believe that the excluded items are reflective of ongoing operating results. More specifically, HP’s management excludes each of those items mentioned above for the following reasons:
- Restructuring and other charges are (i) costs associated with a formal restructuring plan and are primarily related to employee termination costs and benefits, costs of real estate consolidation and other non-labor charges; and (ii) other charges, which include non-recurring costs that are distinct from ongoing operational costs. HP excludes these restructuring and other charges (and any reversals of charges recorded in prior periods) for purposes of calculating these non-GAAP measures because HP believes that these historical costs do not reflect expected future operating expenses and do not contribute to a meaningful evaluation of HP's current operating performance or comparisons to HP's operating performance in other periods.
- HP incurs cost related to its acquisitions, which it would not have otherwise incurred as part of its operations. The charges are direct expenses such as third-party professional and legal fees, and integration-related costs. These charges related to acquisitions are inconsistent in amount and frequency and are significantly impacted by the timing and nature of HP's acquisitions. HP believes that eliminating such expenses for purposes of calculating these non-GAAP measures facilitates a more meaningful evaluation of HP's current operating performance and comparisons to HP's past operating performance.
- HP incurs charges relating to the amortization of intangible assets. Those charges are included in HP’s GAAP earnings from continuing operations, operating margin from continuing operations, net earnings from continuing operations and diluted net EPS from continuing operations. Such charges are significantly impacted by the timing and magnitude of HP’s acquisitions and any related impairment charges. Consequently, HP excludes these charges for purposes of calculating these non-GAAP measures to facilitate a more meaningful evaluation of HP’s current operating performance and comparisons to HP’s operating performance in other periods.
- Non-operating retirement-related credits/(charges) includes certain market-related factors such as interest cost, expected return on plan assets, amortized actuarial gains or losses, and impacts from other market-related factors associated with HP’s defined benefit pension and post-retirement benefit plans. The market-driven retirement-related adjustments are primarily due to the changes in pension plan assets and liabilities which are tied to financial market performance and HP considers these adjustments to be outside the operational performance of the business. Non-operating retirement-related credits/(charges) also include certain plan curtailments, settlements and special termination benefits related to HP’s defined benefit pension and post-retirement benefit plans. HP believes that eliminating such adjustments for purposes of calculating non-GAAP measures facilitates a more meaningful evaluation of HP's current operating performance and provides better transparency into the segment operating results.
- As part of the Separation, HP evaluates all tax uncertain positions to determine the indemnification amounts under the Tax Matters Agreement with Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company and records the adjustments as net tax indemnifications amounts for the quarter. HP excludes these adjustments for the purposes of calculating these non-GAAP measures to facilitate a more meaningful evaluation of HP’s current operating performance and comparisons to HP’s operating performance in other periods.
- HP incurred defined benefit plan settlement charges relating to the U.S. HP pension plan. The charges are associated with the net settlement and remeasurement resulting from voluntary lump sum payments offered to certain terminated vested participants. HP excludes these charges for the purposes of calculating these non-GAAP measures to facilitate a more meaningful evaluation of HP’s current operating performance and comparisons to HP’s operating performance in other periods.
- As part of the Separation, HP recorded several Separation-related items including: the reversal of a previously recorded valuation allowance, the write-off of specific deferred taxes providing no continued benefit to HP and the entry of certain Separation-related deferred tax expense. HP believes that eliminating these amounts for purposes of calculating non-GAAP net earnings facilitates a more meaningful comparison of HP’s net earnings to other periods, as HP’s management does not believe that the excluded items are reflective of ongoing operating results.