Winners Announcement EDAA Outstanding Dissertations Award 2017
Grenoble, February 12th, 2018. In recognition of the importance of university research to the advancement of design, automation and test, and to encourage young researchers to work in the field, the European Design and Automation Association (EDAA) has established an award for outstanding Ph.D. dissertations.
Four categories have been considered in 2017:
- Topic 1 – New directions in software design and optimization for embedded, cyber-physical and secure systems.
- Topic 2 – New directions in system-on-chip platforms co-design, novel emerging architectures and system- level management.
- Topic 3 – New directions in logic, physical design and CAD for analog/mixed-signal, nano-scale and emerging technologies.
- Topic 4 – New directions in safety, reliability and security-aware hardware design, validation and test for systems and circuits
An open call for nominations was organized. The awards are open to young researchers from any country. The dissertations must have been finalized in the last 2 years before the submission deadline. The nominations had to include - An extended statement explaining the outstanding contributions of the thesis, The PhD thesis, preferably in English, a CV and a list of related publications. Each nomination had to be supported by at least two reference letters of experts, and at least one from a different university.
In 2017 EDAA has received a total of 51 submissions from around the world. In each category a committee of international experts evaluated all nominations and selected the final winner. Each award consists of a 1,000 € prize and a certificate.
The 2017 winners have been selected by a high level jury composed by Prof. Lorena Anghel, Dr. Edith Beigné, Prof. Cristiana Bolchini, Prof. Sorin Cotofana, Prof. Giovanni De Micheli, Dr. Giorgio Di Natale, Prof. Rolf Drehsler, Prof. Franco Fummi, Prof. Georges Gielen, Prof. Andreas Herkersdorf, Prof. Joerg Henkel, Prof. Sebastien Le Beux, Prof. Yiorgos Makris, Prof. Subhasish Mitra, Dr. Salvadro Mir, Prof. Ian O’Connor, Prof. Jean-Michel Portal, Prof. Ilia Polian, Prof. Frédéric Rousseau, Prof. Donatella Sciuto, Prof. Olivier Sentieys, Prof. Mircea Stan, Prof. Lothar Thiele, Prof. Jurgen Teich, Dr. Aida Todri, Prof. Norbert Wehn, Prof. Marilyn Wolf and Prof. Hans-Joachim Wunderlich.
They will be awarded at the DATE 2018 Conference, to be held from March 19th – 23rd in Dresden, Germany ( www.date-conference.com).
The 2017 winners in the 4 categories are:
- Topic 1: Alessandro Biondi, Ph.D. (Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, Pisa, Italy; Advisor: Prof. G. Buttazzo and Prof. M. di Natale); Thesis: “Analysis and Design Optimization of Real-Time Engine Control Software”.
- Topic 2: Matthias Jung, Ph.D. (U of Kaiserslautern, Germany; Advisor: Prof. B. Jacob and N. Wehn); Thesis: “System-Level Modeling, Analysis and Optimization of DRAM Memories and Controller Architectures”.
- Topic 3: Rajendra Bishnoi, PhD. (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany; Advisor: Prof. M. Tahoori and Dr. G. Prenat); Thesis: “Reliable Low-Power and High Performance Spintronic Memories”.
- Topic 4: Tobias Schneider, Ph.D. (Ruhr-Universitat Bochum, Germany; Advisor: Prof. T. Guneysu and Prof. A. Moradi); Thesis: “Hardware-Based Countermeasures Against Physical Attacks”.
In addition, SPRINGER will publish these awarded dissertations in the EDAA Outstanding Monographs series.
More information: http://www.edaa.com/
EDAA is a non-profit association. Its purpose is to operate for educational, scientific and technical purposes for the benefit of the international electronics design and design automation community. The Association, in the field of design and design automation of electronic circuits and systems, promotes a series of high quality technical international conferences and workshops across Europe and cooperates actively to maintain harmonious relationships with other national and international technical societies and groups promoting the purpose of the Association. EDAA is the main sponsor of DATE, the premier Design, Automation and Test Conference and Exhibition in Europe.