- Non-GAAP gross margin was 62.0%. This compares to 62.5% in the prior quarter (62.1% when calculated to adjust for the prior quarter's $0.8 million of deferred revenue eliminated under Exar acquisition purchase accounting), and 63.9% in the year-ago quarter.
- Non-GAAP operating expenses were $38.3 million, or 34% of revenue, compared to $37.9 million or 33% of revenue in the prior quarter, and $30.1 million and 35% of revenue in the year-ago quarter.
- Non-GAAP income from operations was 28% of revenue, compared to 29% in the prior quarter, and 29% in the year-ago quarter.
- Non-GAAP pre-tax margin was 24% of revenue, compared to 25% in the prior quarter, and 30% in the year-ago quarter.
- Non-GAAP effective tax rate was 4% of non-GAAP pre-tax income, compared to 4% in the prior quarter, and 1% in the year-ago quarter. Current quarter non-GAAP effective tax rate is based on year-to-date effective tax rate of 7% of non-GAAP pre-tax income. Effects of the Tax Act were excluded from Non-GAAP effective tax rate.
- Non-GAAP net income was $26.3 million, compared to $27.1 million in the prior quarter, and $25.7 million in the year-ago quarter.
- Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share was $0.38, compared to diluted earnings per share of $0.39 in the prior quarter, and diluted earnings per share of $0.38 in the year-ago quarter.
First Quarter 2018 Business Outlook
The company expects revenue in the first quarter 2018 to be in the range of $110 million to $114 million, and also estimates the following:
- GAAP and non-GAAP gross margin of approximately 55% and 63%, respectively.
- GAAP and non-GAAP operating expenses of approximately $57.5 million and $39.5 million, respectively.
- GAAP and non-GAAP interest and other expenses of approximately $4.2 million.
- GAAP tax expense of approximately $0.5 million and non-GAAP cash tax rate of approximately 7%.
Webcast and Conference Call
MaxLinear will host its fourth quarter financial results conference call today, February 13, 2018 at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time (4:30 p.m. Eastern Time). To access this call, dial US toll free: 1-877-407-3109 / International: 1-201-493-6798. A live webcast of the conference call will be accessible from the investor relations section of the MaxLinear website at http://investors.maxlinear.com, and will be archived and available after the call at investors.maxlinear.com until February 27, 2018. A replay of the conference call will also be available until February 27, 2018 by dialing US toll free: 1-877-660-6853 / International: 1-201-612-7415 and Conference ID#: 13653123.
Cautionary Note Concerning Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Forward-looking statements include, among others, statements concerning our future financial performance (including our current guidance for first quarter 2018 revenue, gross margins, operating expenses, interest expenses, and tax rates). These forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties, and other factors that may cause actual results to be materially different from any future results expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on management’s current, preliminary expectations and are subject to various risks and uncertainties. In particular, our future operating results are substantially dependent on our assumptions about market trends and conditions and our expectations with respect to recently completed acquisitions. With respect to recently completed acquisitions, Exar’s target markets and business operations differ substantially from those of MaxLinear, and we may be unable to realize anticipated strategic, financial, and operating synergies to the same relative extent as we were able to achieve in other recent acquisitions. In addition, our decisions with respect to all our acquisitions were based on management’s current expectations with respect to the size of the available markets and growth opportunities presented by these acquisitions, all of which are subject to material risks and uncertainties. In connection with the acquisition of Exar, we incurred substantial acquisition-related indebtedness, which materially changed our financial profile and presents specific risks relating to our ability to service interest and principal payments and limitations on our operating flexibility based on operating covenants in the applicable term loan agreements, including (without limitation) debt covenant restrictions that limit our ability to obtain additional financing, issue guarantees, create liens, make certain restricted payments or repay certain obligations or to pursue future acquisitions. Additional risks and uncertainties arising from our operations generally and our recently completed acquisitions include intense competition in our industry; our dependence on a limited number of customers for a substantial portion of our revenues; uncertainties concerning how end user markets for our products will develop; potential uncertainties arising from continued consolidation among cable television and satellite operators in our target markets and continued consolidation among competitors within the semiconductor industry generally; our ability to develop and introduce new and enhanced products on a timely basis and achieve market acceptance of those products, particularly as we seek to expand outside of our historic markets; potential decreases in average selling prices for our products; risks relating to intellectual property protection and the prevalence of intellectual property litigation in our industry; indemnification obligations of Exar arising from a recent divestiture; the impact on our financial condition of the incurred acquisition indebtedness and cash usage arising from the Exar transaction; our reliance on a limited number of third party manufacturers; and our lack of long-term supply contracts and dependence on limited sources of supply. Our forward-looking GAAP income tax rate includes preliminary assumptions regarding the Tax Act, whereas our forward-looking non-GAAP income tax rate excludes impacts of the Tax Act. The final impact of the Tax Act on our income taxes may differ from our estimates, possibly materially, due to, among other things, changes in interpretations and assumptions made, additional guidance that may be issued, and actions taken by MaxLinear as a result of the Tax Act. In addition to these risks and uncertainties, investors should review the risks and uncertainties contained in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), including our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2017 and our Current Reports on Form 8-K, as well as the information to be set forth under the caption “Risk Factors” in MaxLinear’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2017, which we expect to file in the next week. All forward-looking statements are based on the estimates, projections and assumptions of management as of February 13, 2018, and MaxLinear is under no obligation (and expressly disclaims any such obligation) to update or revise any forward-looking statements whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.