The Company adopted IFRS 15 as of January 1, 2018 using the modified retrospective transition method (also called the cumulative effect method). Under this method, the transition effect is accounted for within the consolidated equity at the date of initial application, i.e. January 1, 2018, without any adjustment to the prior year comparative information. See also the Company’s 2017 Document de Référence (Annual Report) for further information.
- Recurring software: Recurring software is comprised of subscription and support revenue. IFRS 15 has an impact on the timing of the quarterly recognition of subscription revenue but on a full year basis there is essentially no difference between IFRS 15 and the prior IAS 18 standard for subscription contracts of one year in length. For the 2018 fourth quarter, IFRS recurring software revenue was €561.5 million under IFRS 15 and was €12.4 million less compared to the prior IAS 18 standard. Previously, under IAS 18, we showed a ratable quarterly amount based upon the annual contract level of our on premise subscription software. Under IFRS 15, for new contracts entered into or for contracts renewing, we have assigned an upfront value as required which is recognized in the first quarter of the contract, and the remainder which is recognized ratably during the four quarters. We continue to report both of these amounts within recurring revenue, specifically as subscription revenue (previously called periodic revenue).
- Operating expenses and sales commissions: The Company continues to expense sales commissions under the IFRS 15 standard as was done under IAS 18. Therefore, there are no capitalized sales commissions. As a result, the Company’s operating expenses are identical under IFRS 15 and the prior IAS 18 standard.
- One-time permanent difference: The implementation of IFRS 15 on January 1, 2018 resulted in a one-time permanent difference between IFRS 15 and IAS 18, where the deferred portion of subscription agreements concluded in prior years will not be recognized into revenue. As a result, the corresponding amount of €80 million, net of taxes (€110 million before) was recorded in stockholders’ equity as of January 1, 2018.
- Initial impact on unearned revenue: At December 31, 2018 unearned revenue on the Balance Sheet under IFRS 15 is not directly comparable to the December 31, 2017 balance sheet under the prior standard IAS 18. This is due to the fact that the December 31, 2018 balance sheet line item unearned revenue has been reduced by €106 million, reflecting mainly (i) the one-time permanent difference of €94 million, and (ii) change in upfront licenses of €6 million and (iii) higher amount of revenue recognized in the amount of €3 million.
- Contract Assets: Under IFRS 15, the Company classifies the right to consideration in exchange for products or services transferred to a client as either a receivable or a contract asset. Contract assets amounted to €32 million as at January 1, 2018 (1st application impact) and to €26 million as at December 31, 2018.
RECONCILIATION P&L NON-IFRS IFRS 15 vs NON-IFRS IAS 18
(unaudited; in millions of Euros except per share data)
|In millions of Euros, except per share data and percentages||2018 Non-IFRS||2018 Non-IFRS|
|Total Revenue||€ 1,030.6||14.3||€ 1,044.9||€ 3,491.1||(3.1)||€ 3,488.0|
|Total Revenue breakdown by activity|
|Licenses and Other software revenue||333.9||1.9||335.7||918.5||4.9||923.5|
|Subscription and Support revenue||564.4||12.4||576.9||2,175.3||(8.0)||2,167.3|
|Recurring portion of Software revenue||63%||63%||70%||70%|
|Total Software Revenue breakdown by product line|
|CATIA software revenue||288.6||3.8||292.4||1,031.0||(0.3)||1,030.8|
|ENOVIA software revenue||115.7||0.3||116.0||358.5||0.3||358.7|
|SOLIDWORKS software revenue||209.3||(0.9)||208.3||742.5||3.6||746.1|
|Other software revenue||284.6||11.2||295.8||961.9||(6.7)||955.2|
|Total Revenue breakdown by geography|
|Total Operating Expenses||(€ 654.1)||(€ 654.1)||(€ 2,378.6)||(€ 2,378.6)|
|Share-based compensation expense||-||-||-||-|
|Amortization of acquired intangibles||-||-||-||-|
|Other operating income and expense, net||-||-||-||-|
|Operating Income||€ 376.5||14.3||€ 390.8||€ 1,112.5||(3.1)||€ 1,109.4|
|Financial revenue & other, net||3.9||3.9||16.3||16.3|
|Income tax expense||(105.2)||(3.2)||(108.4)||(319.0)||1.7||(317.3)|
|Net Income attributable to shareholders||€ 276.2||11.1||€ 287.3||€ 812.5||(1.4)||€ 811.1|
|Diluted Net Income Per Share||€ 1.06||0.04||€ 1.10||€ 3.12||(0.01)||€ 3.11|
|In millions of Euros||2018 Non-IFRS||2018 Non-IFRS|
|Cost of revenue||(143.1)||(143.1)||(506.1)||(506.1)|
|Research and development||(151.3)||(151.3)||(584.1)||(584.1)|
|Marketing and sales||(288.8)||(288.8)||(1,038.8)||(1,038.8)|
|General and administrative||(70.9)||(70.9)||(249.7)||(249.7)|