The AR7400 complies with the new IEEE 1901 draft standard for powerline networking and interoperates with the vast installed base of HomePlug® AV products. Demonstrating the strong global support behind IEEE 1901, two of China's largest cable operators, Jiangsu Cable Networks (JSCN) and Oriental Cable Networks (OCN), have adopted the standard into their EoC specifications. Both operators will deploy Atheros' EoC technology as they strengthen their infrastructure to support next-generation broadband and digital TV services.
- The AR7400 is a fourth-generation HomePlug chipset that delivers carrier-grade broadband communications over both power lines and coax. This gives broadband providers a flexible platform to support a variety of next-generation services without overhauling or retrofitting their existing infrastructure.
- The AR7400 EoC solution is based on widely-deployed and carrier-certified HomePlug AV technology, the baseline technology for IEEE's 1901 draft standard. Designed for challenging powerline environments, Atheros AMP technology delivers even better throughput and coverage over existing coax infrastructures.
- Atheros' AR7400 EoC solutions are currently being designed into customer premises equipment (CPE) from leading Chinese device manufacturers, including H3C and B-Star, and will soon be deployed by Jiangsu Cable Networks and Oriental Cable Networks. OCN's deployment is the first to support China's Next-Generation Broadband specification.
- The AR7400 EoC solution's remote management (RM) capability allows operators to easily configure and scale systems to suit building size, range and subscriber population.
- EoC systems based on the AR7400 are extremely robust -- capable of more than 700-meter coverage through multiple splitters at required operator throughput speeds.
- "Service providers require standardized technologies that are field-proven and cost-effective," said Todd Antes, vice president of marketing, digital home of Atheros Communications, Inc. "Adoption by leading carriers not only validates the performance of our AMP products for EoC applications, but demonstrates the growing momentum behind IEEE 1901 as the technology-of-choice for wireline networking in the home."
- "After rigorous and careful evaluation, JSCN selected the IEEE 1901 standard as the foundation for JSCN's EoC specification," said Rugang Xu, vice president of Jiangsu Cable Networks. "Atheros' high-performance AR7400 chipset meets the IEEE 1901 standard and JSCN's EoC requirements; its high throughput fulfills our two-way digital broadcast requirements with headroom, while remaining interoperable with the installed base of HomePlug AV products, enabling a seamless migration."
- "Atheros powerline solutions have been a strategic element of H3C's EoC initiative for a long time and the AR7400, which boosts performance by more than three times, is fully backward compatible with our Atheros-based products already in the field," said York Liao, deputy general manager, EoC Product Division, H3C. "H3C has completed performance evaluation and interoperability tests of this new Atheros solution and AR7400-based EoC products will soon be a pivotal tool for multi-system operators in meeting the growing demands of China's NGB requirements."
- Link to Atheros Powerline products page: http://www.atheros.com/pt/plc/plc_index.html
- H3C website: http://www.huawei-3com.com/portal/
- B-Star website: http://www.b-star.cn/eng/eng/index/
- HomePlug Powerline Alliance website: http://www.homeplug.org/home
- IEEE 1901 Working Group website: http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1901/
About Atheros Communications, Inc.
Atheros Communications is a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications. Atheros combines its wireless and networking systems expertise with high-performance radio frequency (RF), mixed signal and digital semiconductor design skills to provide highly integrated chipsets that are manufactured on low-cost, standard complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) processes. Atheros technology is used by a broad base of leading customers, including personal computer, networking equipment and consumer device manufacturers. For more information, please visit http://www.atheros.com or send email to Email Contact.
Atheros, the Atheros logo, and AMP are trademarks of Atheros Communications, Inc. HomePlug is a registered trademark of the HomePlug Powerline Alliance. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the sole property of their respective owners.
NOTE ON FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS:
Except for the historical information contained herein, the matters set forth in this press release, including the features, benefits and performance of Atheros' EoC solutions, and the incorporation of such solutions in customers' products, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially, including, but not limited to, difficulties in the development of new and enhanced products, regulatory changes in China, general economic conditions, the effects of competition and technological change, and the risks detailed in Atheros' Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2009 and its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2010, as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and in other reports filed with the SEC by Atheros from time to time. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof. Atheros disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.