Synopsys announced yesterday that they are purchasing Avant!.
1. Do you think this is good for the industry? Is it good to have fewer bigger companies? Is it healthy for the industry to have this type of consolidation?
2. Avant! and Synopsys products for most part were not overlapping? Is it better to have a single vendor to purchase the tools from?
3. Is it good for the chip designers? Will they get a better intergrated product or will they be worse off due to potentially reduced innovation?
4. How will this merger affect Cadence and Mentor - the other two Gorillas in this market. Even though they have decent Synthesis solutions of their own, Synopsys still has most of the Synthesis market. Does better integration of Avant!/Synopsys products mean any bad news for Mentor or Cadence products integrating into the design flow with Synopsys synthesis products?
5. Has Synopsys purchased enough insurance against Cadence civil suit?